|Click to enlarge|
Theros booster packs contain 15 cards and it is the first set in the Theros block. It is the 62nd Magic expansion and will be released on September 27,2013. Theros is a large expansion and will be followed by Born of the Gods and Journey into Nyx.
Theros has a ancient Greek themed top-down design, making use of many mythological tropes. It is the first set to thematically take place on the plane of Theros. It is mostly monocolored with a handful of gold cards. There is a little monocolored theme. Theros will be an enchantment block that plays off building blocks in M14 and Return to Ravnica block. It's not just "enchantment matters". The mood and tone are those of Greek myth: adventure, achievement, accomplishment, a hero's journey. Many existing creature types will be getting reworked to match the Greek flavor. Apart from Minotaurs, it's not a tribal set. Other confirmed creature types are Kraken, Gorgons, Griffens, Hydras, Centaurs, Merfolk, Satyrs and Sphinxes. Elves are confirmed out. There are three Planeswalkers in the set; one is Elspeth and the other two are new ones. There will be an above average amount of legendary permanents.
Theros is very dangerous land outside of the walled cities Meletis, Akris and Setessa (which are inspired by Athens and Sparta). Nyx is the night sky, and home of the gods, it moves around each night. The five main gods are: Heliod (white), Erebos (black), Nylea (green), Thassa (blue) and ... (red). The gods can take multiple forms and walk among mortals. The planeswalker Elspeth Tirel will fight a Hydra and attracts the attention of Heliod. Elspeth doesn't want to be a hero and does not believe she will be called on to be a leader in a world of gods. Minotaurs are the rampaging savages of Theros. The Merfolk of Theros are called 'Tritons'. Thassa (goddesss of the sea) favours appearing as a Triton when she's among mortals.
Themes and mechanics
Themes are: Heroes, Monsters, and Gods
There are five mechanics in Theros. Including something people have been asking for
- Three new mechanics. One each for the Heroes, Monsters, and Gods.
- The enchantment theme is connected to the gods
- Of the other two mechanics, one is a repeated mechanic brought back that strongly hits the flavor of Greek mythology;
- the second returning mechanic is a mechanic that the developers thought had potential but didn’t live up to it first time out - it has been mechanically retweaked and given a new name and flavor. This last mechanic is also tied to the gods
- The Hero mechanic is possibly Hero's Reward, which appears in the challenge deck of the prerelease.
Theros introduces the supertype elite, the card type Hero and the creature type Head.