|Click to enlarge|
Magic the Gathering MTG Innistrad booster box contains 36 booster packs with 15 cards each. Released on September 30th, 2011, Innistrad is the First set in the Innistrad block. The set contains 264 black-bordered cards (16 Mythic rare, 59 rare, 66 uncommon, and 109 common).
Innistrad is a Magic the Gathering expansion set that was designed "top-down" based around Gothic Horror. The set's mechanics and effects are mainly based around graveyard themes, with a minor focus on tribal themes. The tagline for the set is "Horror Lurks Within". It has 264 cards.
According to Magic lead designer Mark Rosewater, "The number-one role of this set's design was capturing the feel of the horror genre." Monsters were one of the first tropes explored which lead to the tribal component of the set.
Innistrad is the first set to feature double-faced cards, meaning some of the cards do not feature the Magic card back design that has been used on every previous Magic card. Every double-faced card features the new transform mechanic. This is the first set since Ravnica: City of Guilds to have Magic creator Richard Garfield on the design team.
The set's story focuses on the dilemma of how the archangel Avacyn has disappeared from the plane of Innistrad, and now the humans are at the mercy of the vampires while they are trying to control the growing werewolf problem and the rise of zombies.
In Innistrad there are five tribes, major creature types that also play a role mechanically. Each tribe is linked to an allied color combination.
- Humans - Humans occur in all colors but dominantly in white and green. White humans are depicted as religious officials and warriors while green humans are monster hunters. This is the first set in which humans are treated as a tribe.
- Spirits - Spirits occur in white and blue, and sporadically in the other colors. White spirits represent guardian spirits and blue spirits represent geists.
- Zombies - Zombies occur in black and blue. Blue zombies are Frankenstein's Monster-like beings, while black zombies are ones that have risen from their graves and attack in hordes.
- Vampires - Vampires occur in black and red. Black vampires appear to be sophisticated individuals while red vampires appear more savage.
- Werewolves - Werewolves occur in red and green. Every werewolf is a double-faced card with the transform mechanic. One side of each of the werewolf cards is a human werewolf. Green werewolves are usually hermits and outcasts, while red werewolves are mostly bandits and renegades.