|Click to enlarge|
Unglued was the first expansion to be used outside of normal Magic expansions, released August 11, 1998 as a standalone fun-set.
The set included 83 silver-border cards, 5 black-border cards (lands) and 6 Token creatures. The lands are special full art lands which have extended artwork inside an oval frame stretching from the top to bottom of the card. On top of that oval frame is a round gem of the appropriate color with the at the time current tap symbol. At the bottom is a slightly larger featuring the appropriate mana symbol. The top left corner has the name of the basic land while the bottom left corner simply reads "Land" with Artist and copyright information as well as collectors number running along the bottom. Unlike other sets which feature up to four distinct arts per basic land, Unglued only has one art per basic land.
The rest of Unglued are silver-bordered joke cards which are still functional. All aspects of the cards as well as the art featured on the card parody the game, individual cards, concepts, the history or players of the game. Unglued and its followup Unhinged are also the only sets in which the artwork of non-Planeswalker cards of extend outside the artframe. The card B.F.M. (Big Furry Monster) even extends over two cards. Some cards have specialized frames allowing for other jokes.
Unglued also makes special mention of Chickens and Clams as creature types.While unhinged dabbles in all sorts of mechanics including physical actions by the players, specifically noted should be the usage of six-sided die on cards for random effects.
- Chickens — Mesa Chicken, Fowl Play, Poultrygeist, Chicken Egg and Free-Range Chicken: Five common cards that deal with chickens in some sort of fashion by either being chickens, producing chicken Tokens or turning creatures into chickens. These cards are suplemented by the rare chicken Lord, Chicken à la King.
- "Double" spells — Double Dip, Double Take, Double Cross, Double Deal, and Double Play: Five common spells (two instants and three sorceries), each with a converted mana cost of 5. Each spell takes effect twice: once when cast and once at the beginning of the next game played with a given player. The flavor text on those five cards can be rearranged to form a limerick.
- "Rock, Paper, Scissors" creatures — Rock Lobster, Paper Tiger, and Scissors Lizard: Three 4/3 common artifact creatures costing and illustrated by Heather Hudson, each corresponding to the game Rock, Paper, Scissors; when any was in play, it prevented the other appropriate creature from attacking or blocking. For instance, as long as Rock Lobster is in play, cards named Scissors Lizard cannot attack or block.
Unglued Hidden Message
All 94 cards in the Unglued set each had a single word printed on the bottom of the card. When combined in proper numerical order with other cards in the series spell out the following secret message:
"Here are some cards that didn't make it to print: Socks of Garfield, Hot Monkey Love, Colonel's Secret Recipe, Squee's Play, Banned in France, Spoon, Disrobing Scepter, Butt Wolf, Lotus Roach, Sesame Efreet, Needless Reminder Text, Chicken Choker, Clockwork Doppelganger, Henway, HELP I'M TRAPPED IN CARTA MUNDI, Mad Cow, Poke, Lord of Wombats, Gratuitous Babe Art, Brothers' War Bonds, Dwarven Kickboxer, Mickey's Drunk, Pact with the Wastes, CoP:BO, Urza's Chia Pet, Thallid Shooter, Shoelace, When Chihuahuas Attack, Wall of Cookies, Kobold Ninja, Mucusaur, Kjeldoran Outhouse, Bear in the Woods, Dental Thrull, Flavatog, Cereal Killer."
Unglued Creature types
Unglued creature types were eliminated from the Comprehensive Rules list during the Grand Creature Type Update. They included:
- Clamfolk (Clambassadors)
- Cow (Hungry Hungry Heifer)
- Gus (Gus)
- Lady-Of-Proper-Etiquette (Miss Demeanor)
- Chicken (Mesa Chicken)
- The-Biggest-Baddest-Nastiest-Scariest-Creature-You'll-Ever-See (B.F.M. (Big Furry Monster))Unglued contains 94 cards for Magic: The Gathering. Each booster pack within this box of 45 individually sealed packs contains 10 cards including 1 rare, 2 uncommon, 6 common, and 1 land card.
Of the 94 cards in the Unglued set, the most famous cards are: Blacker Lotus, Ashnod's Coupon, and Infernal Spawn of Evil. The box contains 48 packs of 10 cards each.